Join Alex Rynne for an in-depth discussion in this video Using targeting capabilities, part of Marketing on LinkedIn: The Sophisticated Marketer's Guide.
- Targeting is a foundational element of running a successful advertising campaign on LinkedIn. LinkedIn targeting is differentiated because members are incentivized to keep their profiles accurate and up to date for networking, personal branding, and job opportunities. On LinkedIn, you can reach members through a total of 17 attributes divided into five categories. Company, including company connections, company followers, company industry, company name, and company size. Demographics including age and gender. Education including degrees, fields of study, and member's schools. Job experience including job functions, job seniorities, job titles, member skills, and years of experience. And interests including member interests and member groups. In campaign manager, there are only two required targeting facets. The first is location. This is the location of where you want members to be reached. Location can be based on where a member has indicated they're based on their profile. You can also select recent which would pull an IP address. The other required targeting facet is language. It will default to English but our recommendation is to select the language of what your ad is going to be in. So for example, if you are showing German ads you would select the German language. There are two main ways to target on LinkedIn. You can target by audience attributes which are the 17 attributes we previously mentioned. However, once you've chosen your specific geographic location and language, we recommend you add no more than two additional options. This will improve the scale and reach of your campaign. The other way is by using your own data which is matched audiences. So this is data that comes off of your website or lists you've uploaded. It's more of an account based marketing approach. The estimated audience count displays the total number of LinkedIn members that fit your targeting options. In order to launch your campaign, you must target at least 1,000 members. Insider tip, when in doubt start broad and then narrow down your audience after seeing what performs best. You can also use audience expansion to reach similar audiences. Audience expansion delivers your content to members who are similar to your target audience in their demographics and interests. This increases the scale and reach of your campaign by delivering your ad to additional members who may be interested in your content. Defining your audience takes time. Especially for people who manage several campaigns. Speed up this process by saving your audience as a template and then reusing your audience for another campaign later on. You can apply that template to future campaigns across any of your accounts. The sheer power of LinkedIn targeting capabilities remains one of the key differentiators of our advertising solutions. Armed with the right tools and the right targeting, you can more effectively reach decision makers on the world's largest professional network.
- Reaching an audience on LinkedIn
- Using the organic marketing tools
- Using the paid marketing tools
- Leveraging brand awareness tools
- Creating a campaign
- Targeting members
- Measuring results in Campaign Manager