A LinkedIn account is free and easy to set up. In this video, learn about how to create a new LinkedIn account.
- [Instructor] First, let's take a look at how to set up a new LinkedIn profile from the perspective of a student. In order to demonstrate this, throughout parts of this course I'll be setting up an account for Maria Wilson who's a junior studying marketing at the Roux Academy. First, you can begin signing up by navigating to LinkedIn.com. Now keep in mind that the look and layout of this signup page may change, but the process for signing up will ultimately be the same. Now in order to create a new account for Maria, I'm going to go in the upper right corner and click Join Now. From here, I need to enter in Maria's email address as well as a password. Now I suggest creating a quality password for your account since you'll be sharing personal information about yourself. You should create a password that has 10 or more characters, including upper and lowercase letters, numbers, as well as special characters. For example, a punctuation mark. So, once I have that filled in, I'm going to click on Agree and Join. Here it asks us to type in our first and last name, I will go ahead and do that for Maria. And then I'll click on Continue. Next they ask us our country as well as postal code. So I'm going to go in here and add that. I'll click Next. Next they ask for your most recent job title and most recent company. Now as a student you may not have this but at the bottom there's an option for students. I'm going to go down to the bottom and click I'm a Student. Now this will bring us to a page where we can start entering in information about our schooling. For Maria, she attended the Roux Academy. She is earning a bachelor's degree, I'll select that here. She has a specialization in marketing. And then we need to put in the start and end years. So Maria started in 2016 and should end in 2021. She is over 16 so at the bottom I'll click Continue. Now, LinkedIn's letting you know that they sent a confirmation email. So if I switch over to Maria's email account, you'll see here that she did receive a PIN. It's 476418. I'll go ahead and enter that here. Next, LinkedIn tries to customize your account by finding out what you're interested in. So from here you can select some suggested hashtags, things like careers, motivation, personal development and more. Now this is something we'll do later, so I'm going to click on Continue. And like that, we've set up an account for Maria Wilson. Now, it's far from being completed but we have set up an account.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.