A LinkedIn profile allows you to provide a more in-depth look at your personal brand and accomplishments than a résumé does. It allows you to share your passion and personality, build a network of connections, and be discovered for potential jobs.
- [Instructor] A question that I'm commonly asked by students is what's the difference between a LinkedIn profile and a resume? And this is a great question. Let's take a look at some of the ways that your LinkedIn profile differs from your resume. The first is depth. Whereas a resume is a straightforward listing of your education, experience and accomplishments, your LinkedIn profile gives you room to elaborate. Creating a summary on your LinkedIn profile can provide an opportunity for you to resonate your enthusiasm, personality and motivation more than a traditional resume can.
Your LinkedIn profile also gives you an opportunity to share other things. Like volunteer experience, interests, and the ability to attach multimedia, such as images, documents and videos, to further showcase your work. Another difference is recommendations. Your LinkedIn profile allows you to add endorsements for skills and recommendations from others such as peers, professors or past co-workers. Something that a resume doesn't always provide an opportunity for. These endorsements and recommendations are valuable as they give employers more insight into how other people view you as well as what your skill set is.
Finally, is the platform. LinkedIn is a living, breathing network, where other students, recent graduates, professionals and employers can interact with you and contact you. You can utilize the LinkedIn platform to create a powerful network of connections. Also the platform allows others to find you by searching for keywords or skills which you possess. Something that a resume cannot provide. I've often told students that when you submit a resume to a potential employer, you're a piece of paper listing your experiences and accomplishments.
Only if an employer decides to take the next step and talk to you will they begin to learn more about your personality and enthusiasm. With a LinkedIn profile, you have the opportunity to share your personality, creativity, interests, enthusiasm and more. Something I recommend taking full advantage of.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and articles
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.