Join May Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video I already had my dream job, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- I think it's very unique to the veteran community, this idea and this reality that we've probably already had our dream job in our lives. For me, I was a rifle platoon commander in the Marine Corps, that will always be my dream job. And that will always be the best job that I ever have. And that's very unique in the civilian sector because a lot of people work for 20, 30 years to get their dream job in the civilian sector, so it might be something that's very challenging to overcome as you look forward to your transition. But for me, it goes back to always looking at, well what made that your dream job in the Marine Corps? For me, it was being a rifle platoon commander was 'cause I was mission-driven every day.
I had a real purpose in my work and everything that I was doing. And so I encourage you to look back at, hey, what made that a great job for you and maybe the best job that you'll ever have, and try to recreate that when you transition out of the military and make that a main focus for you. So for me, I knew I wanted to do purpose-driven work in the private sector, and so everything that I did when I transitioned out of the military, I fought to get jobs where I could do purpose-driven work. And so that would be my advice to anybody that's struggling with that as they get out of the military, of hey, I already had this job, this was my dream job and nothing else will compare.
Well, find that little bit that will compare and really fight hard to have that in the private sector.
Find out how to become a LinkedIn member and discover special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Creating a strong LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your work experience
- Adding skills and endorsements to your profile
- Using the Education, Honors, and Awards features
- Connecting with other LinkedIn members
- Finding open job opportunities
- Using Linked Learning to build skills
- Getting a free LinkedIn premium subscription