Join May Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video How should veterans approach networking?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- So, I know networking's a big, big issue…with veterans and I get a lot of questions about it…and how they should approach networking,…how they should approach online networking and LinkedIn.…The biggest advice I always give them is just be yourself.…For me, I'm an introvert,…so I spend a lot of time by myself.…Networking events are often very intimidating for me.…I feel very uncomfortable at them,…but I've learned over the years that hey,…nobody has any real expectations for you in networking.…They really just want you to be yourself…and tell your story.…
So really, take a long look at sort of the story…you want to tell and really get that down,…and make it natural, organic,…so it's not a rehearsed elevator pitch, as they may call it,…but it just comes out naturally.…Hey, here's my story, here's what I've done in the past,…and here's why you should be inspired by it…and here's what I might do in the future.…And this is why I would be a great candidate for your job…or maybe we should have coffee sometime and catch up…
Find out how to become a LinkedIn member and discover special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Creating a strong LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your work experience
- Adding skills and endorsements to your profile
- Using the Education, Honors, and Awards features
- Connecting with other LinkedIn members
- Finding open job opportunities
- Using Linked Learning to build skills
- Getting a free LinkedIn premium subscription