Join Greg Call for an in-depth discussion in this video How should veterans approach networking?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- So I know networking's a big, big issue with veterans, and I get a lot of questions about it and how they should approach networking, how they should approach online networking at LinkedIn. And the biggest advice I always give them is just be yourself. You know, for me, I'm an introvert, you know, so I spend a lot of time by myself. Networking events are often very intimidating for me. I feel very uncomfortable at 'em. But I've learned over the years that, hey, nobody has any real expectations for you, you know, in networking. They really just want you to be yourself and tell your story.
So really take a long look at sort of the story you wanna tell and really get that down, and make it natural, organic, so it's not a rehearsed elevator pitch as they may call it, but it just comes out naturally, hey, here's my story, here's what I've done in the past, and here's why you should be inspired by it, and here's what I'm gonna do in the future, and this is why I would be either a great candidate for your job, or maybe we should have coffee sometime and catch up and talk about things. Or, you know, maybe I could pick your brain about this industry or this company.
So that would be my biggest advice for veterans out there. Just take a deep breath, with networking, it's not as big a deal as you may think, and just be yourself.
Find out how to join LinkedIn and get special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Drawing attention to your LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your skills, experience, and education
- Growing your LinkedIn network
- Finding open job opportunities
- Learning with Lynda.com