Join May Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video How did you make the transition from military to professional life?, part of LinkedIn for Veterans.
- So for me, my transition, what I really wanted to do, I was a little bit unique because I had already worked in the private sector before, so I knew a little bit of what to expect, and I know many men and women don't have that privilege. But for me, I really wanted to take everything that I loved about the military, and that was a mission-driven life, so waking up every morning and knowing exactly what my purpose was, and it was to accomplish the mission at hand, and also to take care of the men and women that were under my command. And so I wanted to take a little bit of that into the private sector as well for me, so what I did was create a mission statement for myself, basically, for the rest of my life.
And that was, I wanted to build technology solutions to improve the lives of the military community. And that's really driven me moving forward, and allowed me to stay focused on this path that I've been on up until this point, and so, I'd really encourage service members as they're transitioning out to try to really remain mission-driven with their lives, and purpose-driven. Create that mission statement for yourself, and that will help with a successful transition.
Find out how to become a LinkedIn member and discover special offers just for veterans at https://veterans.linkedin.com/.
- Creating a strong LinkedIn profile
- Writing a compelling summary
- Adding your work experience
- Adding skills and endorsements to your profile
- Using the Education, Honors, and Awards features
- Connecting with other LinkedIn members
- Finding open job opportunities
- Using Linked Learning to build skills
- Getting a free LinkedIn premium subscription