Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Giving recommendations to other LinkedIn users, part of Up and Running with LinkedIn.
- In addition to asking for recommendations and getting recommendations from other people, you can give recommendations to other people as well. This is a great way to make sure that they reciprocate and give you a recommendation in return. In this movie I'll show you how to give other people recommendations. In the previous movie, you saw that I requested a recommendation from Jerry Zedmore. In this movie, I'm going to go to Give recommendations, right above that, and it's going to ask me, who do I want to recommend? I'll type out Jerry's name and select him. What is your relationship? I'll say I reported directly to Jerry.
What were your positions at the time? I was the Lead Web Designer, Jerry was the Founder and CEO. And now I get to write my recommendations. It says here, "If needed, you can make changes "or delete it even after you send it." So in this case, you don't have to worry about writing anything that might be incorrect although you should pay close attention to what you're writing, you can always change it later on. So what I'm going to do here is just to start to type something out. So I'm going to say something like, "Jerry is a very detailed oriented manager, "with a great sense of design.
"He manages people in a unique way "that really caters to their individual needs. "I enjoy working with Jerry and look forward "to continued success at TTC, Two Trees Creative." Then underneath there, your message to Jerry. Again, this is another place where I wouldn't just use the canned text that LinkedIn gives you.
So what I would do here, I'd stick with the Hi Jerry part, but then I would say something like, "I've written a LinkedIn recommendation for you. "If you have any questions, comments or concerns, "please let me know, "I'll gladly revise at your discretion. "Thanks, Kramer." At the end I'll hit Send.
And that is then going to send over that recommendation to Jerry. So as you can see, asking for recommendations and giving recommendations are two very easy things. And it's probably one of the best ways to extend your LinkedIn profile and make it so that more people understand who you are and what you're capable of.
- What makes a LinkedIn profile stand out?
- Adding work experience and education to your profile
- Finding and adding contacts
- Sending messages
- Sharing status updates and content from the web
- Asking for, and providing, recommendations
- Interacting with companies
- Finding a job on LinkedIn
- Starting and growing a group
- Managing your account