Website retargeting has become a staple for nearly all marketing campaigns in the industry. It's a great option if you are looking to run an always-on campaign, so anytime your website visitors come to LinkedIn, they’ll see your content. This video covers
- [Instructor] Let's walk through the basics of setting up a campaign with website retargeting on LinkedIn. In Campaign Manager on the targeting screen at the top, you'll see the option for matched audiences. Click Select to expand the matched audiences options and then click to create a new audience to a target. Give your audience a name, for example Blog pages and enter a URL for the website you'd like to retarget. Now next to each URL, choose an option from the dropdown. Select Exact if you want to retarget any member who visits the exact URL you provided.
Use this only if you have a specific static URL and you never upend anything to the end of that URL. Use Starts With if you want to retarget any users who visit anywhere on the site that begins with the specified URL and you can use Contains if you wanted to retarget visitors on URLs that contain the specific string of characters. So for example if I enter the words thank you, then I'll retarget members who visit any page in the domain with the string thank you anywhere in the URL. In the same window, you can additional URLs to retarget website visitors from different webpages.
Once you're ready, just X out the window. Placing the tag on your website is a critical step. Otherwise, website retargeting won't work. Now under Tools, click on the Insight Tag if you wanted to view the tag at any time. Leaving the site will exit any progress that you have made so far so remember to save your campaign. Now to check the status of your website segments, you can click under Tools and into the Matched Audiences. Here you'll see all of your website audiences. As in the example here, until I add the Insight Tag to my page, a tag status will appear as unverified.
If that's the case after 24 hours then you may have incorrectly installed a tag. Campaign Manager will not be able to build any of the retargeting audiences until your domain has been verified which can take about 48 hours. Once it does appear as verified, that means that it has gathered a minimum of 300 members, but your audience will continue to grow. Now to add website audiences to your campaign, use the tab navigation to click into your account and then click into the campaign where you want to add retargeting segments. Remember to click into the Audiences tab and then under See Full List, you can select the website segments you've already created.
You can also then choose to include or exclude your website segments. Once you set your campaign live, your campaign will begin to deliver as soon as your website segment is verified and it reaches 300 people. Website retargeting is a great strategy to keep your brand top of mind for your website visitors. You can set up your campaign to run indefinitely so anytime your website visitors come to LinkedIn, they'll see your content. I encourage you to download the website retargeting checklist from the exercise files and explore the options that are available to you.
- Posting organic content
- Creating a Company Page
- Using Campaign Manager
- Setting up an advertiser account
- Pursuing content marketing
- Getting started with Sponsored Content
- Setting up a Text Ads campaign
- Using Sponsored InMail
- Targeting audiences on LinkedIn
- Making bids, budgets, and schedules
- Setting up billing, payments, and coupon codes
- Reporting and measuring conversions