Find and follow companies or thought leaders who will enrich your professional knowledge.
- [Instructor] One of my favorite things about LinkedIn is that my news feed is highly customized. It allows me to see relevant information from my connections, or groups I belong to, from my company, or other companies that I'm interested in, as well as what my favorite thought leaders are saying. I benefit greatly by checking into my news feed on LinkedIn each day. In this video, I want to show you how you can follow companies, influencers, as well as other channels to help customize your feed. First, let's talk about companies. I'm going to go ahead at the top and start typing in my friend Bob's business, Mindavation, and this will bring up the page for Mindavation.
Now from here, I can see if they are posting any jobs if I'm interested in working here, and I can also follow their company, so if I click here, I'm now following them and their updates will appear in my news feed. I can see here that I can access their employees, so from there I can choose to try to add employees to my network. I can also learn more about the company, so if I scroll down I can read the About us section. Below this, it shows any recent updates by Mindavation that appear on LinkedIn.
Up at the top on the right-hand side, it shows me companies that are similar to Mindavation. So in other words, if I was interested in working in this field, there may be other opportunities at similar companies. Now, I'm going to back out of here. I'm going to navigate to my profile. If I do this, I'm going to scroll down to show who I am following, and I'll click on Companies, and notice that I'm following here, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Google, Adobe, Plexus, Facebook, and several other companies.
I actually am following quite a few companies that I am interested in. So remember that at anytime you can search for companies and choose to follow them, or if you connect with people who work for a company, you can click on their company and choose to follow it on their LinkedIn page. In this course, we're not going to talk about how to use LinkedIn as a business, but if this is something that you're interested in and would like to learn more, I recommend checking out the LinkedIn for Business course by Viveka von Rosen. Now, companies aren't the only entities that you can follow on LinkedIn.
If you navigate to LinkedIn.com/influencers, it takes you to a page where you can see recommendations for influencers, who are thought leaders across industries driving the future of commerce and business. From here, I can choose to follow any of them that I'd like. So here is Susan Cain, who I think is an excellent author. I'm going to click there to follow her. Adam Grant, I can click there and follow him, and now his posts will appear in my news feed, so it's another way to help customize my news feed.
Now if I scroll down here, you can see that they list the top influencers, and there's some that I'm already following, such as Guy Kawasaki, Daniel Goleman, Bill Gates, and it recommends other ones that I can follow. If I go below this, it shows me different channels. In other words, these are specific collections of articles and insights grouped by topic. So here I can join one on India, Big Ideas & Innovation, Technology, and right now you can see I belong to these two already because there's the checkmark there. Let's say I'm interested in Social Media, which I am, I'm actually following that.
How about Economy? I can click and follow that. So I really want to encourage you to follow the companies, the influencers, and the channels that are meaningful to you on the LinkedIn platform. It will help to customize your curated news feed, and make news even more personally relevant, and it will also keep you up to date on the changes that are happening with people and industries that you're interested in.
- Recognize how to choose which industry you are in when setting up your LinkedIn account.
- Name the two options you have for writing your LinkedIn profile summary.
- Explain how LinkedIn lists your skills based on endorsements.
- Recall what recommendations on LinkedIn profiles are compared to.
- Identify the new messaging service in LinkedIn that allows you to instantly communicate with other users who are online.
- Recognize the benefits of using private mode in LinkedIn.
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 02/16/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover exploring company insights and improving your search on LinkedIn.
Q: This course was updated on 10/17/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.