Your LinkedIn newsfeed helps to keep you updated and informed on things happening in your industry. In this video, learn about how to use your LinkedIn newsfeed to stay up-to-date.
- [Instructor] In the previous chapter, we discussed how to build your LinkedIn network. There were several times that I mentioned your LinkedIn newsfeed and how connecting with people or following groups, hashtags, and companies helps LinkedIn to customize your newsfeed. I'm currently inside of my account and let's take a look at my newsfeed. So you can access it at any time by clicking on the Home icon up at the top. Once you do, you'll be brought to this page and in the center of the page is your newsfeed. Here I can see that the first thing I have posted is from one of my coworkers. If I want to, I can click here to access her account, I can also click within the post to click on any of these links. I can see which hashtags that she used to organize it. I can play this video that appears inside. And I'm going to scroll down here. Now the next one that appears is telling me that it appears here because it's promoted. The next one appears because one of my connections commented on it. And then the next one's from a coworker who was posting a course that they just finished. So, there is a lot of stuff in here including resources, conversations, and more. Now in any of these, in the upper right corner, I can click on this three dots icon and from here I can save that post to read later, I can send it to someone in a private message, I can copy a link to it, and then I can even hide it if I don't want to see this post in my feed anymore, and in fact, I can even unfollow that person if I don't want to see any of their posts anymore. I'm going to close that. The LinkedIn algorithm does an amazing job of customizing what appears in your newsfeed. For example, it knows that I love to read about articles on education, leadership, and careers. Although I have a couple thousand connections, over time it starts to recognize the connections whose shares I read the most and it surfaces them when they have new posts. The newsfeed also recommends news articles and other content of interest based on my career and job title, my skills, interests, and other content that I've liked and shared over time. I spend a lot of time scrolling through my newsfeed because it does such a good job of curating content that's beneficial to me. This is a great way for you to stay up to date about industry trends helping you to be more informed. Especially as a student, use your newsfeed as a resource to learn more about news, trends, and opportunities related to your field that you're involved in. And know that the more you interact with it, the more customized it will become. As you like, share, or comment on certain posts, it helps LinkedIn determine what else they should be including in your customized newsfeed. Over time, I've used my newsfeed to find great articles, free resources, I've seen opportunities arise, I've had questions answered, and feedback given on projects I've posted. This is a great way to stay professionally motivated, inspired, and informed.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.