The LinkedIn news feed is curated business news, posts, and picture that will help you prep for the day.
- [Instructor] In the previous chapter, we discussed how to build your LinkedIn network. There were several times that I mentioned your LinkedIn newsfeed, and how connecting with people, or following groups, influencers, and companies, help LinkedIn to customize your newsfeed. Well, in this video, we want to check out the LinkedIn newsfeed. Now, LinkedIn's algorithm does an amazing job of customizing this for you. For example, it knows that I love to read articles about education, leadership, and careers. Although I have a couple thousand connections, over time, it starts to recognize the connections whose shares that I read the most, and it surfaces them when they have new posts.
The newsfeed also recommends news articles, and other content of interest, based on my career and job title, my skills and interests, and the other content that I've liked and shared over time. I spend a lot of time scrolling through my newsfeed, because it does such a good job of curating content that's beneficial to me. Let's take a look at my newsfeed. And you can access this by clicking on your homepage, and then down here is that newsfeed. So if I scroll down, I can see different posts here from people that I follow.
And at any of these, I can click on them to expand them and read more. I can also click to like them, I can comment or share them, and I can also reply to them. For most of these, at the top, they'll tell you why they appear in your newsfeed. In other words, this was suggested for me, based on my profile. At the top, it shows that a connection of mine commented on this, so that's why it appeared here. Someone that I'm connected with liked this one, and that's why it's here, and so on. So, like I said, it does a very good job of curating this.
I find that most of these articles are consistently of excellent quality, and they keep me up to date and give me a sense of what's trending. Use your newsfeed as a resource, and know that the more that you interact with it, the more customized it will become. As you like, share, or comment on certain posts, it helps LinkedIn determine what else they should be including in your newsfeed. This is a great way to stay professionally motivated, inspired, and informed.
- Recognize how to choose which industry you are in when setting up your LinkedIn account.
- Name the two options you have for writing your LinkedIn profile summary.
- Explain how LinkedIn lists your skills based on endorsements.
- Recall what recommendations on LinkedIn profiles are compared to.
- Identify the new messaging service in LinkedIn that allows you to instantly communicate with other users who are online.
- Recognize the benefits of using private mode in LinkedIn.
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 02/16/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover exploring company insights and improving your search on LinkedIn.
Q: This course was updated on 10/17/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.