Discover how to add your educational experiences and accomplishments to your LinkedIn profile.
- [Instructor] As a student, the educational section of your LinkedIn profile will be an extremely important one. Now remember that, when you created your account, they did ask you the school you were attending, as well as the years you attended it from. So, under Zachary's account, if I scroll down, you'll notice here that he does already have an education section. It says Orange Valley University, 2015 to 2020. But that's pretty generic. In this section, you could list not only the school you're attending, but any majors or degrees that you're earning. You could also add any clubs or extracurricular activities that you participated in, honors you've received or things you've accomplished at the school.
Let's take a look at how we can edit our educational experience. So the first thing is, is if we need to add any educational experience. Perhaps you have high school experience that you want to list. Or you want to add in tech school or community college experience. Maybe you have in here multiple degrees such as a Master's degree that you want to enter in. Well, you can always do that by clicking on the plus button in the education section. When you do that, it allows you to add education by simply filling out the different steps inside of this wizard.
I'll unclick that. In order to edit the current one, and in this case his Orange Valley University experience, you can click on the pencil icon to the right of it. When I do this, it brings up that pop-up again, with a couple things filled in already, such as Orange Valley University and the years that Zachary will be attending. But we can fill in more. So, for instance, the degree. He is earning a Bachelor's degree, can type that in. Next we have field of study and in here he is going into Business Marketing.
Next we can put in his grade and in this case he is a junior. And then activities and societies. So again here, do you have any clubs or extracurriculars that you've participated in? It gives some examples down here. Do you have a fraternity or sorority you're involved with? Marching band, a sport? In this case, Zachary was involved. He was a member of the university baseball team. And vice president of the Young Entrepeneur's Club.
I'll enter those in. And down below you have room for a description. So if you have additional things that you want to add that didn't fit anywhere else, you can do that. Such as a grade point average, if you're proud of your grade point average. If there's certain awards, accomplishments, scholarships, things that you've earned, you can enter that in here. I'm going to put in a brief description here. I'll paste one in that I've already typed out. And it just says earning a Bachelor's degree in Business Marketing with an emphasis on digital marketing and social media as well as a minor in psychology.
And then I listed, because I do think the bullet point format is a good one, when people are looking it over, they can see real quickly, I put in Zachary's GPA, his major, minor, and when he's graduating. Now I can also upload multimedia or link to a website, but in this case, I'm done, so I'm going to click save. Now let's take a look at that educational experience again. Down here, as you can see, it has now beefed that up and made it look much better. So it's telling you here the type of degree he's getting, what year he is in school, as well as any activities and societies and that description.
So I do recommend that you spend some time updating the education section inside of your account.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and articles
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.