LinkedIn allows you to customize your profile URL so that it is easier to share with others.
- [Instructor] In this video, I want to show you how you can customize the URL for your LinkedIn profile. On the right-hand side, I'm going to click again on Edit your public profile. At the top it gives a distinct URL which will lead people directly to your profile. LinkedIn does allow you to customize this URL, however, so that you can more easily share your LinkedIn profile on a business card, on a resume, or as an e-mail signature, or in any other way that you want to. Right now, Tracy's URL is LinkedIn.com/in/Tracy-Westbay-77703b139.
Not very appealing. Not something you'd want to share on a business card. Now, if we switch over here to my account, you'll notice up at the top that I did claim my URL. Mine is LinkedIn.com/in/OliverSchinkten. This is a much better way to share your profile and make it something that's more memorable so people will be able to access your profile from that URL. Now, if I go back to Tracy's account, we do have the ability to try to claim our URL.
Here I'll click on the Edit button. Inside of here where it says Tracy-Westbay-77703, I'm going to select this and type in TracyWestbay, and then we'll see if that works. I'm going to click Save. Because I didn't receive an error message, that's telling me that that URL is available. Now Tracy's is LinkedIn.com/in/TracyWestbay, which is much better, in my opinion, than it was before.
Now, if you have a common name, it's obviously much more likely that the customized URL is already taken. If this is the case, you can try maybe last name then first name, or some other combination that you'd like to use in order to customize your URL. I suggest claiming your LinkedIn URL, as it makes it much easier to share your profile.
- Creating an effective LinkedIn profile
- Configuring a public profile and profile URL
- Finding and adding connections
- Exploring messages
- Navigating LinkedIn Groups
- Following companies and influencers
- Exploring the feed
- Publishing articles
- Configuring privacy settings
- Exploring account types
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 02/16/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover exploring company insights and improving your search on LinkedIn.