A customized background image on your LinkedIn profile can help it to stand out and establish your brand. In this video, learn about how to add a customized background image to your profile.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at how you can customize the background image on your account. In the account which we're creating, you'll see that they're using the blue default background, and this one works just fine, but a great way to make your account pop or standout is to add a customized background here. You can do this by going to the pencil icon at the right of your profile, I'll click on that, and from here, we can update some of our profile information. In order to edit this background image, I'm going to go to the pencil icon at the top right. Here, it recommends some dimensions. The perfect size or the recommended size is 1,584 pixels by 396 pixels. Now your image doesn't have to be exactly this, but it should be somewhere in the ballpark with regards to that ratio. You don't want it to stretch the image out or only show part of that image. A great tool for creating things like a background image on LinkedIn is canva.com. This is a great website that allows you to create images, download them and then upload them to say something like your LinkedIn account. On this page, you can click on create a design, and then custom dimensions. In here, I've already entered in that 1584 by 396, and then I'll click on create design. It gives us this template, and over here on the left, we can choose from some pictures, some elements, text and other things in order to create it. So, if you need to create a background image, I suggest checking out canva.com. Now, back on Maria's profile page, I actually have an image on my desktop that I want to use for her account. So, I'm going to go up to that pencil icon at the top right, and click here. From my desktop, I'll click on the design that I want to use, and then in the Photo Editor, again, we can drag it where we want it to be, we can zoom it in or out if we want, straighten it, crop it, add filters, as well as adjust some of the other characteristics. Now, I'm ready to apply this, so at the bottom, I'm going to click apply, and this gives us a showcase of what that background image will look like. If we're happy with it, we can go down and click on save, and like that, it updates it on your LinkedIn account. Now, in this case, Maria is a marketing student who believes that one of her strengths is creativity, so she wanted to include this image that she thinks makes her account stand out, and gives across the message that she is a creative person. Remember that this section is one that you can adjust at any time, so if you have a background image in here, and you want to change it, you can always do that. I suggest that you do add a background photo to help your profile standout. Choose an image that's clear, professional and fits with the message that you're trying to convey.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.