Discover the personal elements that will set your profile apart from the rest, including a professional picture, catchy heading, and thoughtful summary.
- [Instructor] Now that we've created a basic account, in this video, I want to emphasize the importance of creating a great LinkedIn profile that stands out and helps you achieve your goals. LinkedIn has revolutionized the way that we search and apply for jobs as well as connect and collaborate with other professionals. Essentially, LinkedIn has become the new resume, as it provides insight into who you are, what you do, what you've accomplished, and more. With this in mind, I want to make sure that you create a great LinkedIn profile that will help you stand out and accomplish your goals.
Now throughout this chapter, I'll be covering many of the different sections and be giving some tips and best practices for them specifically. But before we get started, let's take a step back and consider few things. First of all, why are you using LinkedIn? What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for a job? Are you building a professional network? Maybe you're showcasing a product or service or searching for news and ideas related to your field. Each of these is an excellent way to use LinkedIn, but your purpose for using the website should dictate how you set up and maintain your profile.
Next, be visible. When creating your account, add quality information to the different sections. Spend some time on them. It will take more time up front, but it's worth it. Next, use keywords. If you want to get noticed in searches, make sure you're using industry keywords, the words that people will be searching for when they try to find others. Create value for your network. LinkedIn is a great place to get updates, ideas, and resources from industry leaders, but make sure to create win-win relationships in which you're also sharing your knowledge and helping people in your network.
Also, stay active. Don't disappear for months at a time. Stay active and keep posting things in your feed to stay relevant. Another point that I want to make is to be professional. LinkedIn is a social networking site for professionals. Be sure to conduct yourself and create your profile to reflect this. Keep your profile up to date. As you acquire new skills, take on new jobs, and accomplish new things, be sure to update your LinkedIn profile, which should be an ever-evolving document.
Finally, be yourself and be honest. In order to create powerful and sustainable connections and opportunities, be sure to be yourself. Show some personality, and always be honest when adding information to your profile. Once you've created an excellent profile on LinkedIn, share it with pride. Share the URL to your LinkedIn profile on your business card, e-mail signature, and in other places to help build your network.
- Recognize how to choose which industry you are in when setting up your LinkedIn account.
- Name the two options you have for writing your LinkedIn profile summary.
- Explain how LinkedIn lists your skills based on endorsements.
- Recall what recommendations on LinkedIn profiles are compared to.
- Identify the new messaging service in LinkedIn that allows you to instantly communicate with other users who are online.
- Recognize the benefits of using private mode in LinkedIn.
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 02/16/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover exploring company insights and improving your search on LinkedIn.
Q: This course was updated on 10/17/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.