You have the ability to control what the public can see on your LinkedIn profile. In this video, learn about how to customize your public profile.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at how you can customize the URL for you LinkedIn profile. I'm currently on my LinkedIn profile and at the top you can see the URL that gets you here. It is linkedin.com/in/oliversschinkten, which is my name. So that's easy for me to remember. It's easy for me to share. I can put it on an email signature, a resume, business cards, and I think it looks pretty professional. Now let's take a look at Maria's URL, in the account that we just created. Hers is linkedin.com/in/maria-wilson-a564a419a. Eh, not so much. I don't think that one has quite as nice of a ring to it. The good news though is that you can edit your LinkedIn URL. Now in the upper right corner of your account we'll go back to the edit public profile and URL. In this section up at the top in the right you'll see that it has the URL here. And this is the one for Maria that I just read off. In order to edit it you can click on the pencil icon. I'm going to do that. And you'll notice here that it says linkedin.com/in/. That automatically is going to be there. But you do have the ability to customize the ending. So I'm going to go ahead in here and I'm going to type Maria Wilson. Now my guess is this is a very common name and this will not be available. I'll hit enter and it says that URL is not available, try a different URL. So if this happens you can do whatever you want. If you want to put your last name then first name. Maybe first name middle initial, last name. Figure out something that works, but still looks professional. In this case here Maria does use her middle name sometime. So I'm going to put in Maria Rae Wilson. I'll hit enter, and that one did work. And now her LinkedIn profile is, linkedin.com/in/mariaraywilson. This is easier to remember. It's easier to share. It looks more professional than what it used to so, I highly suggest that you go in and personalize the URL for your LinkedIn profile.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.