Use the University pages and Alumni Tool to research jobs and find connections. In this video, learn about how to navigate to a University page and use the Alumni Tool.
- [Instructor] University pages and the alumni tool are powerful ways to research schools and to find connections who attended the same school as you. You'll likely find that fellow alumni are often more open to connecting because you share such an important part of your journey. Let's check this out. Now in order to navigate to a university page, I'm going to use the search bar. Up here I'll start typing in the University of Wisconsin, Madison. If I click on that it brings me to the University of Wisconsin Madison's LinkedIn page. Here I can do a ton of research about the university. If I want I can follow the university and receive updates in my newsfeed when they post them. I can visit their website. I can see employees that have LinkedIn accounts. Over on the left I can click the about section and learn more about this university. And on the left I want to point out one really important tab and that is alumni. If I click on this it brings me to the alumni tool. Now if I scroll down it's telling me that there are 269,076 alumni from the University of Wisconsin Madison on LinkedIn. And I can go ahead an narrow these down. So if I scroll down you'll see that they give me different criteria. Where they live, where they work. I'll click next. It shows what they do, what they studied, what they're skilled at, and how you're connected. I want to go back here and let's say that you attended the University of Wisconsin Madison, but now you're moving out to the Los Angeles area and you want to see if there's anyone out there from the university that you can connect with, with regards to your career. In this case let's say marketing. So I'll scroll here to next. And what they do if I scroll down. I can see marketing down here. I'm going to click on that. And you can see we've now narrowed this down to 10,156 alumni. The next thing I want to do is go where they live. And in this case I'm trying to find people that live in the greater Los Angeles area. Here that is, I'll click on that. And we've narrowed it down to 338 alumni. Now once you've narrowed this down, you can scroll down below. And they'll show you the different people who meet this criteria. So down here they'll show you people who meet this criteria that you may want to connect with. I'm going to scroll back up. Up at the top you even have the ability to set some parameters as far as when they attending the university. So here it says start year and end year. Well I could put in here that I wanted from 2015, and an end year of 2019. And when I do that you'll see here that we've now narrowed this down to 64 alumni. So I suggest using this alumni tool to go and find people who are like minded, or doing similar things that you want to do who attended the same school that you attended.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.