Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding education entries, part of Learning LinkedIn (2015).
- Another important piece to the LinkedIn profile puzzle is the educational aspect. In this movie, I'm going to be showing you how to add educational entries to your LinkedIn Profile. There's actually multiple ways to do this. You'll notice at the very top of your profile you have this little button here that says Add Education. When you hover over it it says members with a school on their profile gets seven times more profile views. That's probably true, because adding an educational entry increases your reach exponentially on LinkedIn because you are adding an association with your college.
In this case, I can add education from here or from down here where it says education, and I can just simply click add school. Either place will take you to this exact same destination. Here, underneath the school section, I can start to type out the name of my school. As I do that, the list will slowly populate with what LinkedIn thinks are the schools that I might have attended. As I continue to type it out, LinkedIn may not have my school actually on file. That's perfectly okay. All I have to do is type it in, and everyone else who has attended this college will do the exact same thing making this a searchable term.
For the dates attended, I'll just simply drop this down. We'll notice up at the top that I started working here in January 2008. I'm going to say that I graduated in 2007. Which means, if we're on a four year timeline, that means that we've started school in 2003. 2003 2007 We'll do degree. Bachelor's Degree. Field of study. Graphic communications.
Grade. This is where you can enter in things like your GPA, if you're proud of it. You can also add in things like activities and societies. For instance, if I was member of Gamma Epsilon Tau which is a Greek Honors Society, that is related to the graphic design industry, I could add that in there. You can also add a description if there's any relevant information that you think you need to add for your college experience. In this case though, we've go more than enough information to be professional. All I'm going to do is click save.
Once I do that, all of that information is then added to my education section. If I went to school for anything else, maybe for a Master Degree or a Doctorate, I could certainly add those by adding an educational entry much the same as I would an extra position inside of my work experience tab. You can also add things like high school education, if you choose to. For now though, I think I'm just going to leave it at my college degree. As you can see, it's pretty easy to start adding sections to your LinkedIn Profile. Making sure you have the most basic building blocks in place, like work experience and education, can really help you stand out amongst the competition.
- What makes a LinkedIn profile stand out?
- Adding work experience and education to your profile
- Finding and adding contacts
- Sending messages
- Sharing status updates and content from the web
- Asking for, and providing, recommendations
- Interacting with companies
- Finding a job on LinkedIn
- Starting and growing a group
- Managing your account