LinkedIn is similar to an online resume in that you can include your education and experience. In this video, learn about how to add work experience to your LinkedIn profile.
- [Instructor] Being a student, you likely don't have a lot of work experience, which is okay. If you do, however, you should list these experiences on your LinkedIn profile. This could be part-time jobs, summer jobs, or interneships that you've had. Let's take a look at how to add work experience to your LinkedIn profile. Inside of Maria's profile, I'm going to click on Add Profile section here in the middle. From here, we can select several different sections. The one I want to do now is under background, and it's work experience. To the right of this, I'll click on the plus button, and this brings up a popup box that allows us to customize that work experience. Now, Maria was a digital marketing intern at Red30 Tech, so enter that in here. She is digital marketing, and you'll see here that some options come up. Here is digital marketing intern. It was an internship, for the type of employment. The company that she worked at was Red30 Tech. I'll select that here. And then down below, we can put where that was located. That was located in Los Angeles. Now, below that, we can put down the years. You'll notice here that it has this start date but doesn't have an end-date. And that's because we've checked I'm current working in this role. And in this case, Maria still is working in this role. So she started here in October of 2018. and is currently working there. Now if I were to uncheck this, we could put in that end date. So if you're going to put in jobs that you have completed or did in the past, obviously I'm going to want to put in an end date for those as well. In this case, she's still working there so I'll click on that. Now it asks you if you want to update your industry. In this case, I don't. And if we want to update out headline. By default, it would go towards your job role and then the company that you work at. In this case, I don't want to do that though, I want to keep the one that we've already created. And then down below, we can add media. If you want to upload some examples of work that you've done at your job, you can do that to showcase it here on your LinkedIn account. In this case, I'm not going to do that. Now below that, you can decide if you want to share this update with your network. It means that it will send out a message to your network saying that you've changed your job experience or you've added job experience. In this case, I don't want to do that so I'm going to click that off. And then I'll click save. So once you've done that, you'll receive this popup which allows you to add in some of your teammates if you want to. For now, I'm going to click done. Now if we school down, you'll notice here that under experience, we have that digital marketing internship for Maria. Now one thing I recommend when posting work experience is to expand upon it a little bit. Over here, I'm going to click on the right on the pencil icon. And down at the bottom where it said description, I am going to enter description here. I'm going to paste in something I've typed out. And it's just a couple of bullet points saying what Maria did at this job. So when people look at the job that she had, they can also see what it is that she did. And here it says collaborated on social media campaign, helped improve customer service and accessibility on the website. I'll click save. And you can see that it updates that. So I do recommend expanding upon your work experience so people can see what you did there. What were your responsibilities, accomplishments and more. Now if I want to dad a new job, I can simply click on the plus button, and we start that process over. So in here, I could go and enter as many jobs as I had. In this case though, Maria only had that one so I'm going to close that out. I'll discard it. Now if you scroll back up to the top, I want to mention one other thing in particular to students. And that is the volunteer section. We want to click on add profile section. And under background, you'll see volunteer experience. If you have any volunteer experience, this can be really powerful on your LinkedIn profile. Especially since you're a student and you don't have a lot of work experience. So, if you want to, you could click on this and fill it out the same way that we filled out our employment. I'll close that for now. So, that's how you can add work experience as well as volunteer experience on your LinkedIn profile.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.