Write a professional summary that differentiates your experience and highlights your accomplishments. In this video, learn about how to create a personal summary to your LinkedIn profile, telling your story and utilizing keywords.
- [Instructor] Your summary is an extremely important part of your Linked In profile. And it's a section that you should put a lot of time and thought into. I want to start out by saying that I've seen thousands of student profiles on Linked In and I'm amazed at the number of students who choose not to include a profile summary. I think this is a big mistake. Not only is the summary an opportunity to share some of your accomplishments, but it's also an opportunity to share your mission statement, your career goals and aspirations, personality, and why it is you do what you do. You want your summary to resonate with those who choose to look deeper into your profile. Your summary's also a great place to include key words that will help make you more visible in search results on Linked In. So let's take a look at how we can add a summary to Maria's profile. Now, this is something that's changed a bit on Linked In recently, and in order to add a summary, we need to click on the add profile section button. From here, there's a sectioned called about. And in here, we can choose summary. I'll go ahead and click on the plus button and now inside of this pop up, we can start entering in our summary. So you can click here and begin typing. I'm going to go ahead and paste one that I've already written out for Maria and we'll take a look at this in a second. And down below, you have the ability to add media as well, so if there's something such as a photo, a document, a presentation, video, that you want to showcase, you can add that to this summary section. For right now, I'm just going to click on save and if I scroll down, you'll see that about section here for Maria. Now one thing I want to point out is that it only shows the first couple lines of the summary when you first access a profile. This is important because you want to make sure that this grabs this someone's attention and makes them want to learn more about you. I've seen many people in here that say something like my name is Maria Wilson and I, well you don't need to put that because you have that information up above. So in this case here, it says I'm currently a junior at Roux Academy, pursuing a degree in business marketing, an emphasis on digital marketing and social media. Over the past semester, I've had experience as an intern at Red Tech 30. Now if someone's interested in learning more about Maria, they can click on see more and when they do, this brings up her whole summary. Now if you see here, I put in here what she's doing right now at school. Well that and a second paragraph, I put in my classmates, instructors, and coworkers have described me as a motivated leader who is passionate, hard working, and an enthusiastic collaborator. So here's a great time to put in some of your strengths, some of the things people say about you, some of the things you've been involved with. Below this, it says what her future plans are and then at the bottom, I have this section that I think is a good idea to include, where you list some of your areas of expertise or skills. This not only allows people to see what it is that you're good at, but it also allows you to include some really important key words in your account. Now remember that this won't take up a ton of space on your account, because someone will have to click on see more in order to open up that whole summary. And if they do click that, they want to learn more about you. We're going to switch back over to Maria's account. Now you have important decisions to make regarding your summary. First, is it something you want to do right away? Or, do you want to wait and do it last, after you've completed the rest of your profile? If you complete the rest of your profile first, it may give you some insight into what you want your summary to look like. No matter when you do it, remember that your profile should constantly evolve. As things change and as you get new degrees, new jobs, whatever, you should update your Linked In summary. I would spend some time considering the following, who are you, really, who are you and what defines you? What is it that you do and why is it that you do that? Your Linked In summary provides you with an opportunity to show off some of your personality and passion, something that a resume really can't encapsulate. Take advantage of this. Finally, your Linked In summary provides you with an opportunity to toot your own horn. This is your chance to show off what you've accomplished and what skills you've developed. I know this is difficult to do, but this is your chance to showcase who you are and really sell yourself. How do you provide value to a potential employer or collaborator? Now remember that most people will come across your profile through the Linked In search bar or from recommendations, so it's important to include key words in your summary and that's something that you'll definitely need to think about with regards to your industry. If you still aren't sure what you want your profile summary to look like, I recommend checking out some other Linked In profiles of students who are pursuing a similar career path as you. Look to see what type of things they're sharing and which key words they're using. Spend some time crafting your summary before you post it. Once it's written, have some peers look it over and give you feedback. This is a very important part of your Linked In profile and one that you should put some time and effort into.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.