A profile picture is an important part of your LinkedIn profile. In this video, learn about how to add a profile picture to your profile.
- [Presenter] We've now created a new LinkedIn account for Maria Wilson, a junior at Roux Academy. Next we need to customize it though. One of the biggest mistakes that you can make on LinkedIn is to create an account, but then do nothing to customize it or update it. When people come across it, it gives the wrong impression and makes it look like you don't know how to customize it, or you just don't care. So let's go ahead and do that. The first thing I want to do is navigate to Maria's profile page, and I can do that by going to the left and clicking on her name. Here is her profile page, but you can see now that she doesn't have a picture to go along with this. The first thing people see when they land on your LinkedIn page is your profile picture. For this reason, I suggest that you take the time to add one that represents you the way you want to be perceived. LinkedIn members with a profile pic receive up to 20 times more messages, so adding one is important. Here we'll take a look at how to do that. First, I want to click on the camera icon that appears on the left side. This brings up a popup box that says, "No professional headshot needed! "Just something that represents you." This is important to mention because I've helped a lot of people with LinkedIn profiles who said that they didn't have a picture on it because they don't have a professional headshot to use. Although you want to have a high quality picture that represents you well, don't let this be an obstacle. If you have a professional headshot, use it. If not, smartphones and other cameras these days allow you to take a high quality photograph which will work just fine. In this situation, for Maria, I have one on my desktop that I'm going to use. I'm going to click on Upload Photo, and from the desktop I'll select her picture. Now, this will open it up in the photo editor. From here, we can move the picture around if we want, to center it the way we'd like it to be. Can also zoom in or out, if you want to. You can straighten it. And then down below you have the ability to crop it, there are some filters, as well as some advanced features. Now, when you're done you can go ahead and click on Save Photo. And like that, we've added a profile picture to Maria's account. Let's check out a couple of tips related to your profile picture. When selecting a photograph for your account, there are a few things that you should consider. First, is it a recent photograph? You want people to be able to recognize you based on this picture. This means you need to update it every once in a while. Does it have the proper framing? Ideally, you want people to see your face. You don't want to be too far zoomed out or too zoomed in. Next, is it a quality picture? You don't want a blurry and pixelated one. Next is professionalism. LinkedIn is a social media platform for professional connections. You'll likely want your photograph to reflect this. Again, if you already have a professionally done headshot, I suggest using that, however you can easily take your own picture using a digital camera or smartphone. Just be conscious of the framing, the lighting, and the background.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and content
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.