Explore additional sections you can add to your profile, including certifications, patents, and projects.
- [Instructor] Now, you could spend a lot of time creating and improving your LinkedIn profile as you get started. And I do encourage you to do this. Either by spending a little bit of time every day for a week or by blocking off a chunk of time that works for you where you can devote more attention to it. And remember that your LinkedIn account is constantly evolving. So, as things change or as you receive new experience, make sure to update your profile. Now, we've started creating an account for Zachary Heilyn, and I like the way that it looks at this point. We have a profile picture as well as a background for him.
I like the headline that we have, as well as the summary. Below that, we have some work experience as well as experience for education, and volunteering. And then below that we've added in some featured skills that he can begin to become endorsed with. Now in this course, I'm not going to walk through every option for sections that you can add to your profile. But I do want to take a look at them and show you where you can add them. So if I scroll back up to the top, on the right hand side it says Add new profile sections.
If I click here, up at the top we have the background section which includes Work Experience, Education, and Volunteering. We've taken a look at all three of those. Next, we have Skills, and we've added skills. Below that, however, is Accomplishments. And here you'll see that you can add a Publications section, where you can list your published work. You can add a certification section in which you can add anything you've been certified in. For example, maybe you're certified in CPR. Below this, is a section for Patents.
Then courses, where you can add any courses you've taken. Projects, if you want to highlight any projects that you have collaborated on or worked on. Honors and Awards, Test Scores, Languages, and Organizations. So as you can see, there are a ton of different sections that you can add here. And if you want to add any of them, all you need to do is click on the plus sign next to them. So here under projects, if I click on the plus sign, each of these will bring up a wizard that will walk you through the information that you need to enter in in order to create this section.
Now you don't have to add all of these sections. In fact, it may crowd up your profile and take the focus off some of the important sections. But take a look at them and considered whether adding a section makes sense for you. If you feel that adding a section will add value to your profile, then I suggest adding it.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Growing a professional network
- Following companies and influencers
- Sharing updates and articles
- Sending and receiving messages
- Searching for jobs
- Upgrading to LinkedIn Premium
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 10/18/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: LinkedIn Groups.