You don’t need a professional DSLR to capture a good portrait. In fact, today’s mirrorless cameras are more than up to the task. In this video, Derrick Story explains why.
- [Instructor] One of the questions that I get…quite often is, are mirror-less cameras,…and even our smartphones, are they good enough…for taking high school senior portraits?…And the answer is, yes, they are good enough.…Now there are some caveats, and I'm gonna cover…a few of those right now.…But the bottom line answer is yes,…these tools are quite good.…We're looking at an image right now,…made with a mirror-less camera, Olympus mirror-less camera,…OMD EM1 Mark Two, and I'm gonna talk more…about the specific gear in upcoming movies.…
But as you look at this shot, and it was made with…a portrait lens, a wide aperture portrait lens,…and you can see that we have nice sharp eyes here.…You can see that you get some of that tail-off…where it's softening here on the edges,…and it's a lovely portrait, the color is good,…it's wonderful.…So these cameras are more than capable,…they have enough resolution, there are many fine optics…for them, and they look good.…So if you're out on the shoot and you're carrying…one of these, I think people will go,…
- Guidelines for senior portraits
- Setting up a portable studio
- Posing subjects
- Shooting outside
- Working with family members
- Using mirrorless cameras and smartphones
- Editing senior portraits
- Exporting and delivering images
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
Up-Close Portrait Photography: Start to Finishwith Chris Orwig2h 5m Intermediate
1. The Basic Guidelines and Business of Portraiture
2. Studio Space and Posing Options
3. Working with Family Members and Shooting Outside
4. Using Mirrorless and Smartphones for Portraits
5. Sort and Organize the Photo Shoot
6. Edit and Enhance Your Selects
7. Deliver the Images
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.