Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video The importance of consistency in metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- When you're adding or updating…metadata information for your photos,…it is critically important that you be consistent.…Making sure that you're following a consistent approach…to adding metadata values will make it…much easier to find specific photos later…because you'll be able to anticipate…how to locate those images, what you can use…to locate those images, if you've…been consistent in terms of how you're adding…specific information to your images,…so for example, if you use star ratings…to assign values to your images…to determine your favorite versus…not so favorite photos, you'll want to be consistent…in your methodology for how do you determine…which image gets which star rating.…
If you're using color labels, you already know…from earlier in this course that color labels…are defined as a word in metadata…and so you'll want to be consistent in your workflow…in terms of the definition of those color labels,…and with keywords it's especially important…to think about how you're going to use your keywords,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search