Join Vanelli for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a social media headshot?, part of Shooting Effective Business Portraits.
- View Offline
- When it comes to portraits, a social media profile photo is one of the easiest ones to create, but it's the most important one for us to have. Especially for ourselves and our clients. Think about it. What's the first thing most potential customers are gonna see when they google your name? Your online profile photo. Now, personally, I had this really incredible photo that I absolutely loved and it was taken by a very close friend of mine who happened to be an extremely talented photographer and a photoshop guru. Now, back in the day when that sports grit was making its scene and everyone loved it, he took a shot of me like that.
And I stood sideways and I look intense. And I just gave that little look here and I love that photo. I loved it so much that I took a shortcut. And I used it for every one of my profile images. I used it on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, you name it. I loved it. It wasn't until a good friend of mine asked me to give a talk for his special camera club. And when I sent him that image, he said, "Well, V, I know you. "And I know you're a very lovable guy, "however, looking at this photo, "I don't think the people who don't know you "at this convention are gonna feel you're very approachable.
And they're not gonna want to come up and just talk to you." And I didn't realize it until I looked back, and I saw the image and I thought, "You know, you're right. "I don't look approachable in this." It was a great photo, I love it, but it's not good for that particular situation. So, it got me thinking. What I really need to do is take a simple, dramatic-type portrait of myself that I could use for professional sites, such as LinkedIn, or when I do special talks.
- Choosing a backdrop
- Scouting locations
- Lighting for corporate headshots and environmental portraits
- Establishing rapport with clients
- Creating a sense of power through posing
- Editing portraits with Lightroom
- Cataloging and organizing images