Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Viewing image metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- Considering all of the metadata…that we have available to us,…from our camera…within the software we're using on our computer,…of course, there are going to be times…when we want to actually look at that metadata,…so that we can review information about our photos,…maybe locate specific photos based on metadata.…So, let's take a look at some of the ways…that we might actually review that metadata,…starting when we're actually taking the pictures…in the first place.…So, if we look at one of the images…on the back of our camera,…of course, we can see the image itself on the LCD,…and that's tremendously valuable,…but we can also see some of the basic information…about that photo.…
The specific information you're able to see…will vary from camera to camera.…How you access that information may vary a little bit,…but in general, you'll find that you're able…to cycle through several views…relating to the information about the captures.…You'll see the image itself,…you'll see, generally, a basic summary of the basic metadata…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search