Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Using GPS track log metadata with your images, part of Photo Management: Metadata.
- Even if the camera you're using to capture images…does not include a GPS receiver,…you can still take a relatively automated approach…to adding location information to your photos,…and that involves recording a tracklog…that essentially keeps track of where you are…while you're capturing images, and then…you can synchronize those two bits of information,…the location that you were based on the tracklog…and then, the time that the photos were captured…with your camera, of course.…That does require, or at least it makes it a lot easier,…to make sure that your camera and the device…that you're using to record the tracklog…are set to the exact, same time.…
That's usually not an issue for your GPS device,…because usually you'll have the option…to use the GPS signal as the basis for that time stamp,…but not always.…But you'll want to make sure, in either case,…that you have the camera and the GPS device…set to the exact, same time.…You can use a variety of different tools…for recording your GPS tracklog.…There are GPS units designed for hikers,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search