Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the standard metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- As a photographer, you're probably well aware…that there is lots of information available in metadata.…Some of which, you're probably making use of,…and some of which, you probably don't even recognize…when you take a look at the metadata in your photos.…There are actually a variety of standards…that are available for metadata.…There are two key standards,…that as photographers, we're most interested in.…Those include Exif and IPTC.…These are two standards that have been established…that define the specific information…that is available within those standards.…
So, in the camera,…we're talking about Exif metadata.…That's the information that the camera…actually records for you, related to your capture settings.…That includes the lens that was used,…the aperture you set the lens to,…the shutter speed, ISO,…all of the information about,…essentially, how you captured the image…within the camera itself.…Then we also have the IPTC standard.…That's the International Press Telecommunications Council,…and this defines metadata, as you can imagine,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search