Join Bryan O'Neil Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Thinking in black and white, part of Lightroom and Photoshop: Black-and-White Photography.
- Back in the film days, shooting black and white…was very intentional.…You would load black and white film into the camera,…and you would just shoot black and white,…so you tended to walk around…thinking in black and white,…and that same sort of thinking is really important…if you want to go out and shoot for black and white imagery.…Now, you can look at it later and you can figure out…what to do with the images that you have,…but if you're going out in order to shoot…black and white images, it'll help to look at the world…a little differently, kind of like we did…back in the film days, so try to see through the lens…with a black and white image.…
Contrast, tone, shadow,…texture, lines, you're looking for…that subtractive content.…The composition of the image becomes much more important,…you have the ability to look at things…in a more abstract way, but you really wanna…latch on to little details that will lend themselves well…to removing color, which is to say that…if you're gonna take a picture of a sunset,…
AuthorBryan O'Neil Hughes
- Why black and white?
- Shooting with black and white in mind
- Preparing color images
- Black-and-white mixing and adding toning
- Utilizing presets effectively
- Creating black-and-white HDR images with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Taking advantage of black-and-white adjustment layers
- Adjusting the toning of images
- Working with the Silver Efex plugin
- Converting to black and white on the go
Skill Level Intermediate
Photography Foundations: Black and Whitewith Ben Long3h 4m Intermediate
Photoshop Insider Training: Enhancing Photoswith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 37m Intermediate
1. Black-and-White Considerations
Thinking in black and white1m 23s
2. Black-and-White First Steps in Lightroom
3. Black and White in Photoshop
5. An End-to-End Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.