Now that you have your master shot created, you can now create an intense, sports shot. How do you coach your talent to give that piercing look that is part the defining look of a sports portrait? In this movie, author Robert Vanelli demonstrates how to work with talent to create an intense, sports photograph.
- View Offline
- Now that we have our master shots completed let's get a little creative. We're going to work on an intense type of a shot. Now lacrosse players, they're well known for being really intense when they play. So this is what I want to capture in this next shot. What I want to do is I'm going to have him bring his head down and when I say, come up, he's going to slowly come up and just pierce right through the lens and just give me that intense stare that other players see this, they're going to think, man I don't want to play lacrosse against him. So, let's get going.
How you doing my man? Okay, let's come right up here. We're going to take your mark. Legs wide. Good. Now, let's bring the stick up just a touch. That's it. And then I'm going to use your glove, that's it, you're going to push out into the mesh. Great. Good. Let me back my position. Hey Drew, I'll have you come up just a little bit and move over. That's it. What I need you to do is bring it up just a little bit. Good. Bring your chin down. That's it, good.
And swing your head over just a, right there. That's it. Now close your eyes for a moment. You're an attack man. Ready? Put that into your mind. Think about this. There's 10 seconds left in the game. You need this goal. Think about it. Now don't move your head. Just slowly open your eyes and look right at me. Go. (shutter click) Right there. Nice, nice. (shutter click) One more my man. (shutter click) Drew, that's intense. Great job bud.
Intensity makes the athlete look extremely competitive and that's the kind of shot that the athlete wants and so do the parents.
- Choosing a portable backdrop
- Using speedlights
- Researching the talent and the sport
- Scouting the location
- Lighting and designing the shot
- Getting permissions and releases
- Shooting intense individual portraits and team shots
- Post-processing portraits quickly in Lightroom
- Finishing action shots from games in Lightroom