Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Searching for images using the map metadata, part of Photo Management: Metadata.
- For me personally, location information tends…to be rather critical in terms…of the metadata that I'm adding to my photos.…In some cases that location information…is being added automatically, with a camera…that includes a GPS receiver, for example.…In other situations I might be manually adding…images to the map based on a reference photo, for example.…But the point is that the map module inside of Lightroom…can be very helpful in my own workflow,…and possibly in yours as well if location information…is valuable in the context of your images.…
Of course, it can be helpful once you've found…a particular photo to know where that photo was captured,…but I also find that it's very helpful…to locate images based on their location,…to search for images, essentially, on the map.…So let's take a look at the map module inside of Lightroom.…First off, when I'm browsing the map…and I don't necessarily know exactly…what sort of image I'm looking for yet…I'll make sure to choose the all photographs option…in the catalog section of the left panel…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search