Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Searching for images using EXIF metadata, part of Photo Management: Metadata.
- Sometimes you might be surprised…at how much detail you can remember…about a particular photographic image.…I know sometimes it might seem a little bit silly…to say that I can remember what aperture setting I used…or what shutter speed I used for a particular photo,…but it's actually true.…In some situations, specific details about the capture…can be incredibly useful for locating a specific photo,…or at least getting me started on the path…toward finding a specific image.…Let's take a look at a couple of general examples.…First off, if I don't know which folder…the image is located in,…or which collection it might be in,…if I'm really sort of floundering…and just basically trying to find an image…based on whatever details I can remember,…I'll generally start off…by choosing the All Photographs option,…under the Catalog section on the left panel…in the Library module in Lightroom.…
That enables me to see every single image…that is contained within my current Lightroom catalog.…So, we'll start there.…And then to really be able to search…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search