Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Searching for images based on date metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- View Offline
- One of the key pieces of metadata…that your camera records when you capture an image…is the date and time of the capture.…So, if you happen to remember the date…that you captured a particular image,…you can use that information…to locate a specific image…or a specific number of images.…This usually doesn't work all that well for me,…cuz it's rare that I can actually remember a date…that a photo was taken,…but in some cases,…using date as a filter mechanism can be very helpful.…I remember, for example,…the dates when I was in Rome leading a photo workshop.…Those were September 14th through the 18th.…
So, if I happen to remember that information,…I can zero in on exactly those photos.…Even if I don't remember which folder…I put those images into,…or any other metadata about the images,…I can use the date of capture.…Let's take a look at how we can make use of that option.…If you're going to search by date,…you probably want to be looking at all of your photographs…inside of Lightroom,…and so over on the left panel, in the Library module,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search