Join Bryan O'Neil Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing a color image for black and white , part of Lightroom and Photoshop: Black-and-White Photography.
- Ok, for this first image let's pick…a color image that needs a lot of work,…and we're going to take it top to bottom…through the Develop module…to convert it to black and white.…So, I can just hit Develop,…or I can hit Command+Option or…Command+ALT and Two.…The various workspaces are numbered…One for Library, Two for Develop, et cetera.…You can also hit G to go back to the library.…So, here I am in the Develop module,…and on the left-hand side we always…have a bunch of Preset content.…We're not going to talk about that right now,…so I'm just going to hit that little…disclosure triangle and hide it.…
And you'll see that the advantage here…is I can just see that much more of my image.…Now, we've got a lot of controls over here,…and it's probably tempting to hit…Black & White right away,…but we want to work the image in…color for as long as possible for two reasons:…one, we can see a lot more information in color,…and the other, along the way we might decide,…you know what, I like it better in color…than I do in black and white.…
AuthorBryan O'Neil Hughes
- Why black and white?
- Shooting with black and white in mind
- Preparing color images
- Black-and-white mixing and adding toning
- Utilizing presets effectively
- Creating black-and-white HDR images with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Taking advantage of black-and-white adjustment layers
- Adjusting the toning of images
- Working with the Silver Efex plugin
- Converting to black and white on the go
Skill Level Intermediate
Photography Foundations: Black and Whitewith Ben Long3h 4m Intermediate
Photoshop Insider Training: Enhancing Photoswith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 37m Intermediate
1. Black-and-White Considerations
Thinking in black and white1m 23s
2. Black-and-White First Steps in Lightroom
3. Black and White in Photoshop
5. An End-to-End Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.