Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps in photographic metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- Now that you have a better understanding of metadata…as it relates to your photographic images,…I encourage you to think about the role…of metadata within your photographic workflow.…There is, of course, the automatic metadata that your camera…is recording, that part's pretty straightforward.…But there's also metadata that you can add…to your images after the capture.…I imagine you don't want to spend infinite amounts of time…updating the metadata for your photos,…but you'l want to think about the strategy for how much time…you will spend, what sort of metadata is valuable for you,…how you might approach keywording, for example,…whether or not location information is helpful…in your particular photography.…
But overall, just to think about metadata…in the context of your photography workflow…and how you can make the most of that metadata so that…you're able to remain more organized with your photos,…and most importantly, perhaps, actually locate…the images you're looking for when you're looking for them.…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search