Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Maximizing PSD compatibility in Photoshop, part of Using Lightroom and Photoshop Together.
- View Offline
Lightroom is not designed to read layers.…So If you save a layered PSD format file from Photoshop, it has to include a…special composite layer that Lightroom can read, if you plan to use the file in…Lightroom or other programs that can't read layers.…The way to get a composite layer like that embedded in a PSD file, is to enable…Photoshop's Maximize Compatibility preference, as I'll show you in this movie.…This is an issue that you may have run into when you were using Lightroom's…Import command to import layered PSD files from your operating system.…
It also can come up in the course of using Lightroom's Edit In command to…integrate Lightroom and Photoshop, the workflows that we're following in this course.…Let's a take a look at Photoshop's Preferences. I'll go to the Photoshop menu,…that's the Edit menu on a PC, and choose Preferences, and I'll choose the File…Handling preferences.…This is the preference at issue, Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility.…PSB just refers to Smart Objects. We're interested in the PSD portion right now.…
In this course, photographer and author Jan Kabili shows how to combine both programs. The course begins with details on how to set up the two programs for maximum compatibility. The course then covers strategies for working with photos in a variety of formats, sending them from Lightroom to Photoshop to viewing the edited results in Lightroom. The final chapter demonstrates several real-world scenarios for using Lightroom and Photoshop together.
- Setting the Lightroom preferences for editing in Photoshop
- Passing photos from Lightroom to Photoshop
- Handling software version mismatches
- Viewing and organizing Photoshop-edited photos in Lightroom
- Creating Lightroom presets for external editing
- Using Lightroom with Photoshop Elements
- Building a panorama with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Passing multiple photos to Photoshop for compositing
- Sending photos to Photoshop for retouching and removing content
- Bringing photos into Photoshop to add text and graphics