Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Locating your images with a simple metadata search, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- In large part, the whole point of adding metadata…to your photos is to actually be able to locate…the photo you're looking for…when you're looking for it.…In many cases, that search process looking for…a particular image can actually…be relatively straightforward.…In fact, in many cases, you don't even necessarily…need metadata per se to start the process…of locating a specific image.…As an example here, I'd like to locate…a photo of a lighthouse that I captured,…and so I'm going to start off…by going to a particular folder.…
Not always, but generally speaking,…when I'm looking for an image,…I have a pretty good idea of which folder…that image might be located in,…in large part, because I use a folder structure…that's based on how I think about my images.…Now, the best solution for you in terms of folder structure…might be very different from mine, but the general concept…that I recommend is to create a folder structure…based on how you actually think about your images.…For me, because I'm hardly ever home,…I'm generally travelling,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search