Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Keywording strategies when adding image metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- View Offline
- I have a little bit of a love-hate relationship…with keywords and I think many photographers do.…When I ask a photographer how long they wish they could…spend keywording their images, the answer is usually…no time at all,…and when it comes to searching for their images,…suddenly they wish they had spent a lot more time…keywording their photos.…Of course, we don't want spend all day keywording…our images so we need to come up with a strategy,…a plan essentially for how we're actually going to…approach keywording for our photos.…And I think the first thing that is worth keeping in mind…is that keywords really can play two roles in our workflow.…
One is to help us locate a specific image…so if I'm looking for a photograph of a specific subject…and I added the name of that subject as a keyword,…it will be very easy to find that image.…I also use keywords though to remind myself…of what is contained in the photograph.…When I find a particular image,…so this image here for example,…I can locate this photo, maybe I found it…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search