Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Initial metadata available on import from camera, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- View Offline
- It seems to me that many photographers…think about the addition of metadata…to their photos as occurring at two…basic stages of their workflow.…The first of course is in the camera itself.…The camera is recording information…about the camera settings, the equipment used, etc.,…so that we have that stage of adding metadata,…when we actually take the pictures.…The second stage is after we've downloaded…the images, when we're reviewing those images…on our computer, perhaps adding keywords,…assigning star ratings, etc., so that…post-processing workflow essentially…where we're adding information,…adding metadata values to our images…once we start reviewing them,…but if you're using software such as Adobe Lightroom,…there's actually an intermediate stage.…
We need to use an import feature…for this type of software, a catalog-based…software application for managing photos,…so that we're actually bringing our photos…into the Lightroom catalog, and then…we can start adding metadata.…Actually, during that import process,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search