Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- There's a variety of metadata…that you might want to add to various photos…when you're working reviewing those images…after capturing them on your computer, of course,…but there is, in some cases,…the ability to automate or at least streamline…that addition of metadata,…and that calls for metadata presets.…I'm using Adobe Lightroom to manage my images,…for example, and Lightroom allows me to create…metadata presets that I can use to…essentially automatically add certain metadata…to my images.…Now before you create a preset,…it's important to consider what sort of information…you might want to add to a large number of images.…
For me, personally, I think of this purely…as the information that will relate to essentially…every single picture that I ever capture.…So me as the photographer,…maybe my contact information,…some copyright information,…but basic information that's going to be…relatively generic across most of my photos…or even all of my photos,…because I don't want to have lots of individual presets…for different scenarios,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search