Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Correcting metadata for capture time, part of Photo Management: Metadata.
- As I'm sure you're aware,…when you capture an image,…your camera is recording the date and time…that you captured the image.…Which,…of course,…necessitates that your camera is set…to the correct date and time.…I myself would never forget,…well,…every now and then I forget.…I've crossed a timezone and I didn't update the time…on my camera,…so now I have a set of images that are set…to an incorrect time.…Let's take a look at an example here.…First of all,…I have a photograph that I captured right…around sunrise in Maine.…
It's rather impressive that I was up for sunrise,…but what's more impressive is that apparently the sunrise…was at about three in the morning.…I can assure you that was not the time…that the sun was coming up.…I had been on the West Coast prior to going to Maine,…and I left my camera set to that West Coast timezone,…to Pacific time.…Those times are off by three hours.…I essentially need to move the time,…for all of these captures,…all of the photos that I captured during this trip,…by three hours.…Let's take a look at how we can correct…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search