Join Bryan O'Neil Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing black and white or color, part of Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop: Black and White Photography.
- Let's step through a bunch of images…and talk about which ones lend themselves to color…and which are best for black and white.…And we'll look at some of the reasons why.…In this first image, this is actually a color image.…It's just as I shot it.…It was such a bleak day that it ends up looking…like a black and white image.…There's some things I could do to it…but it really is just a black and white image.…In this next example, as a color photo there was…too much visual information, there was too much clutter.…By converting it to black and white,…I noticed the texture in the wood…and the shape of the leaves.…
It's less distracting and I can focus…on what's in the foreground.…This is an image from the same trip,…a big bright orange train.…And as you'd imagine, this isn't…a very interesting monochromatic image.…All of the excitement gets lost from it.…It wants to be color.…In this image, I've drawn focus to the texture…and the lines and I've accentuated them…by adding a really basic white border.…Even just that one little touch…
AuthorBryan O'Neil Hughes
- Why black and white?
- Shooting with black and white in mind
- Preparing color images
- Black-and-white mixing and adding toning
- Utilizing presets effectively
- Creating black-and-white HDR images with Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop
- Taking advantage of black-and-white adjustment layers
- Adjusting the toning of images
- Working with the Silver Efex plugin
- Converting to black and white on the go
Skill Level Intermediate
Photography Foundations: Black and Whitewith Ben Long3h 3m Intermediate
Photoshop Insider Training: Enhancing Photoswith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 37m Intermediate
1. Black-and-White Considerations
Thinking in black and white1m 23s
2. Black-and-White First Steps in Lightroom
3. Black and White in Photoshop
5. An End-to-End Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.