Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing Edit a Copy, part of Using Lightroom and Photoshop Together.
- View Offline
Another option when you're taking a pixel-based image like a PSD from Lightroom…to Photoshop for editing is the Edit a Copy option in the Edit Photo window.…This creates a copy of the original without your Lightroom adjustments, so it…gives you the opportunity, even after you've made adjustments to an image in…Lightroom, to start again with a fresh copy in Photoshop without a negative…impact on your original.…So here I have a Photoshop document, and in my Lightroom Develop module, I'm…going to make an adjustment.…I'll convert it to black and white as I've been doing in the other movies in this chapter.…
I'll click black and white and I'll customize that conversion.…Now I want to take the file into Photoshop to add a type layer.…So I'll press Cmd+E, that's Ctrl+E on a PC, and that brings up our Edit Photo window.…This time I am going to choose Edit a Copy in this window and click Edit.…That passes the file over to Photoshop and you can see right away that the…file is here in Photoshop without my Lightroom adjustment, the black and white conversion.…
In this course, photographer and author Jan Kabili shows how to combine both programs. The course begins with details on how to set up the two programs for maximum compatibility. The course then covers strategies for working with photos in a variety of formats, sending them from Lightroom to Photoshop to viewing the edited results in Lightroom. The final chapter demonstrates several real-world scenarios for using Lightroom and Photoshop together.
- Setting the Lightroom preferences for editing in Photoshop
- Passing photos from Lightroom to Photoshop
- Handling software version mismatches
- Viewing and organizing Photoshop-edited photos in Lightroom
- Creating Lightroom presets for external editing
- Using Lightroom with Photoshop Elements
- Building a panorama with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Passing multiple photos to Photoshop for compositing
- Sending photos to Photoshop for retouching and removing content
- Bringing photos into Photoshop to add text and graphics