Join Bryan O'Neil Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Black-and-white mixing and adding tone , part of Black and White with Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Okay, so we've converted our color image…to black and white, and it's definitely…taken on a more dramatic look,…and for the most part, the exposure is balanced,…and things are looking pretty good,…but now we wanna play around with…those individual channels of color…and really make it a better looking black and white.…So if we come down here,…we see that we have a lot more sliders…than we're accustomed to…and that Lightroom speaks a different language.…It's much friendlier than, say, Photoshop.…You have familiar terms like Orange, Aqua,…but what's tricky here is figuring out…how those map to your black and white image…because we know certain things.…
The sky is probably blue,…so that's gonna make it darker or lighter,…but where purple and magenta factor in…really isn't as clear, so what I like to do here…is choose this on Image Control,…and this is really handy for a couple of different reasons.…It's easy to use.…I can just click on the sky.…I can pull it down, which will pull the Blue slider…to the left and make it darker, very, very, intuitive,…
AuthorBryan O'Neil Hughes
- Why black and white?
- Shooting with black and white in mind
- Preparing color images
- Black-and-white mixing and adding toning
- Utilizing presets effectively
- Creating black-and-white HDR images with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Taking advantage of black-and-white adjustment layers
- Adjusting the toning of images
- Working with the Silver Efex plugin
- Converting to black and white on the go
Skill Level Intermediate
Foundations of Photography: Black and Whitewith Ben Long3h 4m Intermediate
Photoshop Insider Training: Enhancing Photoswith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 37m Intermediate
1. Black-and-White Considerations
Thinking in black and white1m 23s
2. Black-and-White First Steps in Lightroom
3. Black and White in Photoshop
5. An End-to-End Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.