Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic metadata updates, part of Photo Management: Metadata.
- Once I've imported my photos into Lightroom,…I of course want to review those photos,…and as part of that process, I want to assign some metadata.…And for me, there are two basic purposes…to assigning metadata to my images…after I've captured them, after I've brought them…onto my computer, into Lightroom, in this case.…Number one is essentially to know about my photos,…to remind myself of what the subject matter was,…for example.…That also serves the purpose of being able…to locate my images, and that's really the second piece…of using metadata, is being able to find images later.…
And so, when you're starting to add metadata…to your images as part of your image review workflow,…you need to consider what sort of information…is going to be useful to you later,…which information will be absolutely critical,…which will be helpful, and perhaps,…which information you don't need at all.…So, let's take a look at some examples of metadata…that you might assign after you're reviewing your photos…on the computer.…You can see that this image, for example,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search
Skill Level Intermediate
Introduction to metadata1m 15s
1. Metadata Basics
Viewing image metadata3m 20s
2. Capturing and Adding Metadata
3. Location-Based Metadata
4. Managing Metadata
Saving metadata with photos3m 54s
5. Using Metadata to Find Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.