Join Tim Grey for an in-depth discussion in this video Backing up your photo metadata, part of Learn Photo Management: Metadata.
- Naturally, if you're going to spend the time…adding metadata to your images,…you want to keep that metadata safe.…You want to keep it backed up so that you preserve…the information that you're going to use…to track down specific photos or to remind yourself…about details of your images.…There are a couple of options inside of Lightroom…that enable you to back up your metadata…in a couple of different ways.…To begin with, bear in mind that Lightroom…is saving your metadata by default…only to the Lightroom catalog,…and so if you're not using the option…to also save the information out to your files,…out to your images, then you'll want to make sure…that you're backing up your catalog.…
If your catalog is stored on an internal hard drive,…obviously you could use backup software…to just back up your computer.…You can back up your external hard drive.…but Lightroom also includes a facility…for backing up your Lightroom catalog.…Let's take a look at the settings for that.…I'll go up onto the menu bar,…and on the Macintosh version of Lightroom,…
Metadata may not be glamorous, but it's a priceless tool for managing and organizing photos. Your camera records metadata with every shot: the date, time, camera and lens settings, and much more. You can also add metadata using programs like Adobe Lightroom.
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Tim Grey demystifies metadata, describing what it is and showing how it's an essential part of photo management, from categorizing photos to creating fun searches, such as "show me all the photos I took a year ago today."
- Viewing image metadata
- Creating and using metadata presets in Lightroom
- Importing metadata from the camera
- Adding metadata to batches of images
- Correcting metadata for capture time
- Getting location information with auto GPS
- Mapping locations manually
- Resolving and avoiding metadata conflicts
- Backing up metadata
- Locating your images with a simple metadata search