Join Chris Croft for an in-depth discussion in this video The vice, part of Management: Top Tips.
- Now, there's a tactic that buyers quite often use…called The Vice.…And I think it's good to look at this…from two points of view.…One is you need to know about the vice…so that you can use it if you're buying.…But you also need to know about the vice…so that you can defend yourself against it…if you're selling.…So what is the vice?…Well, the vice is when the buyer says,…you'll have to do better than that.…And the risk if you're selling is that…you put a price out and the buyer says…you'll have to do better than that, and you say,…well, all right, how about if I come down by 5%?…And the buyer says, still too much.…
You'll have to do better, I'm afraid.…And you go, how about 10%?…And they go, you'll have to do better.…And they just keep twisting the vice on you.…And when will it ever end?…So it's a good technique when you're buying,…it's very easy just to say, well,…it's a bit expensive, I'm afraid.…Can you go down a bit for me, please?…How can you counteract the vice if you're selling?…Well, it's very easy.…What you do is you say, how much better, exactly?…
- Being assertive
- Taking responsibility for mistakes
- Giving and receiving criticism
- Time management
- Project management
- Holding effective meetings
- Giving presentations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Leveraging Assertiveness
2. Time Management for Managers
3. Project Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.