Learn why managing up matters so much in today's hectic workplace.
- When I was 24, I was promoted to director…of human resources for a commercial real estate company.…Thing were going really well, or so I thought,…until one day I got taken out by a wave…I never saw coming.…It was at that moment that I realized…that I failed to manage up,…because quite frankly I had no idea…you were supposed to.…I'll share some of the lessons I learned…from my experience, and why managing up…just might be the most important skill you can master.…
Let me give you a few of the reasons…why it's important to establish…solid relationships with your manager…and those above him.…Relationships are the coinage of all business.…Think about the last time someone in the office,…who you didn't have a great relationship with,…asked you to do something for them.…Chances are, you didn't leap out of your chair…and take care of the matter right away.…You probably waited until you were done…handling other priorities.…
In fact, this request may still be waiting in your inbox.…Now consider being on the other side…of this relationship, but with your boss.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining your boss's management style
- Pushing back and saying no when necessary
- Practicing self-promotion
- Making great impressions
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Building productive team relationships
- Establishing credibility
- Evaluating your team
- Building a team of all-stars
- Getting team members engages
- Managing your peers
- Being influential and staying sharp