What do stellar communicators do? They listen well! Listen with your eyes, your ears, and your heart. Statistics on the importance of listening are shared and the concept of empathetic listening comes to life with a practical example.
- The building blocks of people, message, and context…seem simple enough when you apply them to daily life.…But there is one final component of stellar communication…that must be considered.…That building block is listening,…an activity that takes up to 55% of our working time…according to the US Department of Labor.…Between interacting at work, talking to our families,…taking in information through radio, TV, video clips,…we listen more than we speak daily.…
Most of us come into the workplace…with little to no training on listening.…Across the globe, schools prepare us…to write, read, and speak,…but few of us have had extensive training in listening.…Listening is the skill that separates…good communicators from amazing ones.…And you guessed it, we want you…to be an amazing communicator,…so here are some tips to being a strong listener.…When you are the center of a message,…and you're getting feedback from your receiver,…you have to listen with your ears, your eyes, your heart.…
What do I mean by that?…Let's refer back to the example Brenda mentioned…
- Recall the four pillars of a business scenario.
- Explore the term 'people' in the context of a communication scenario.
- Recall how the Think, Feel, Do model applies to a communication scenario.
- Identify the parts of the message in a communication scenario.
- Recognize the 'channel' in a communication scenario.
- Apply the importance of context in a communication event.
- Review the most important components of listening.